15 January 2012

Thanks Grandma

Last week, my Grandma sent me an early birthday card, and this angel was in the envelope. The card came a few weeks early. I guess my Grandma was just ahead of herself this year. The last time my family visited with Grandma was in July, when we vacationed in North Carolina. We drove over to visit with her one day. She was bouncing with energy, and sharp with her dry, witty humor. She lives in a small mobile home and doesn't have any money to spare, and yet she always wants to be generous in whatever way she can. She never lets us leave her home empty handed. So she will busy herself by running to her closet to find things to give us. Usually my Mom ends us with some used slippers or a rain coat that doesn't fit. She also sends us a box of gifts for Christmas each year.  We never know what we will find when we open the box. This year in the Christmas box she mailed, we got loads of candy, a broken (and used) candle stick, a few washcloths, and Little Debbie snack cakes. Tyler's girlfriend, Patience, made out the best. She took the washcloths for her college dorm.

Every once-in-a while, though, a sweet little gift comes along. And I know very well this angel probably came from her closet, or a flea market, but it is sweet all the same. She probably enjoyed rummaging around for something she thought I would like. The fabric has a tulip on it, which is my favorite flower. So, the angel adorns my doorknob in my bedroom. And I think of Grandma when I open and close this door. And that is the point. She wanted to do something thoughtful, and she certainly did.
Thanks for thinking of me, Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment