06 January 2012

Is it Friday?

Do you ever wake up feeling so happy because it is Friday, which means the end of the workweek, and you can start your weekend planning in your head? Like sleeping in past 6:30. And isn't it the worst feeling when you wake up thinking it is Friday only come to find out when you turn off your alarm on your cell phone that it is, in fact, a whole day off?

'My cell phone must be wrong', I thought, 'it simply can't be Thursday. It feels too much like Friday.'

Indeed, it was Thursday. And even worse, I would catch myself throughout the day on Thursday thinking that it was Friday, and I had to remind myself that my pre-weekend excitement was too early...

But now it really is Friday and I may commence with my pre-weekend celebratory thoughts.

It made me think about how sometimes we can act like we know it all. We are so sure of ourselves that we are correct. We argue with someone and won't back down. We boast about our knowledge on something. Only come to find out that we are wrong. We talk on and on in what 1 Timothy 6.20 calls "irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called 'knowledge'". Sometimes we need to just learn to listen. To let someone teach us and show us something.

I was wrong about the day. Okay, small example. I wasn't arguing with anyone besides my cell phone (the cell phone won the argument). But I have learned that it is okay to be wrong about things. I will freely admit that I don't know anything, really. Teach me. Show me. Involve me. I love learning.

Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct, let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. James 3.13

No comments:

Post a Comment