31 January 2012

Incognito

We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito. And the incognito is not always hard to penetrate. The real labour is to remember, to attend. In fact, to come awake. Still more, to remain awake.

-C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm


To go through the day with this in mind changes ones perspective. It makes me remember to open my eyes and pay attention. I have been trying to do more of that, anyway. You know, pay attention, smile and be friendly to strangers, and show everyone kindness. People stop me to ask for directions quite a bit, and I always oblige. I sometimes wonder if I just got them lost, though. If someone holds the door for me, I thank them and smile. Don't underestimate simple manners. Have I met God in some of these people? Have I ignored God? The latter question is the one that cuts deep when I realize that I know I have.

Most days during my lunch break I take a walk down to the lake and sit and read, then walk back. Getting out and about has presented me many opportunities to get fresh air, get to walk, and possibly help someone with something simple. Like information about downtown, or directions.  What a thought to imagine God walking down by the lake, too. Is He the homeless person sitting on a bench with bags of possessions? Or the visitor who clearly looks like he's from the north? Or the business person walking around talking on his cell phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment