04 June 2012

Bodleians

What a place to be in is an old library! It seems as though all the souls of all the writers that have bequeathed their labours to these Bodleians, were reposing here, as in some dormitory, or middle state. I do not want to handle, to profane the leaves, their winding sheets. I could as soon dislodge a shade. I seem to inhale learning, walking amid their foliage; and the odour of their old moth-scented coverings is fragrant as the first bloom of those sciential apples which grew amid the happy orchard.
-Charles Lamb, Essays of Elia

Dear Oxford,

I miss being in your presence. A year ago I walked your streets, explored your buildings, browsed your bookstores, admired your history, met your citizens, and basked in the music, books, learning, and food. It's been too long since we've seen eachother and I think it is time for a reunion. I will come to you and we can catch up from all that I have missed. If you brew a pot of tea I will bring some biscuits and we can spend time together. You can show me more of the quads, Addison's Walk, the High, St. Mary's, the Bodleian, and the colleges. I'd be most happy.

Yours,

Kacie

(One year ago I was standing here, at the Bodleian Library in Oxford. The greatest library and probably the oldest university in the world. All at once it feels like I was just there while it also feels like it's been a century since I was there. A place like Oxford does not leave my mind easily. It is always there, reminding me of all that it has to offer me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment