20 June 2012

Manche Bücher

Manche Bücher (Some books) I have been reading:

1. The Bible (ESV)
Currently reading a couple Psalms each day, and going through the New Testament. I just finished Hebrews, and I am now reading James (which is a book that kicks you awake. This is a book to read slowly; there is a lot crammed into each chapter and it is so good)

2. The Essential Rilke
Rainer Rilke was a German Christian who wrote beautiful poetry. His words are so poignant, and yet so reachable (meaning, he doesn't use high language) that anyone can relate to what he is writing about. I feel myself floating  away into his words very easily. This book is particularly special because it has the German on one side of the page, and the English translation on the other side. As I learn German, I will be able to read it in German!


3. Lit!, Tony Reinke
On being a Christian and the choices we make in our reading selections. The book is aimed at people who don't read very much, to encourage wise choices and good suggestions. So, it was a little pointless for me to read for that. I read it because I love reading and it offered me some insight and interesting ideas.

4. The Conquest of Granada, a play by John Dryden

Modern plays tend to lose my interest, but Shakespeare plays are so interesting to me. Dryden would be in the realm of Shakespeare. Written in 1672, this play has all the tragedy, rhyming lines, and characters that you don't quite understand until their purpose is fulfilled somewhere near the end. I read through the 161 page play in a short time just by reading several pages on my breaks at work.

5. The Spirit of Cities, Daniel A. Bell and Avnet de-Shalit
Spotlighting 9 different cities, the authors discuss why cities and their individual spirit (ethos) is so important to maintain. I love learning about cities, love visiting cities, and there are several in this book that I want to visit. I am learning about each city's history, culture, the people's outlook, the buildings, and the struggles each city has had to overcome before embracing it's unique identity. So far I have read about Jerusalem, Montreal, Singapore, & Hong Kong.  Next up are Beijing, NYC, Oxford, Berlin, and Paris.

6. Leave it to PSmith, P.G. Wodehouse

British humour at its best. Written in 1924, it's that funny, silly, story with a man who calls himself PSmith. PSmith puts an ad in the newspaper putting himself up for hire and, well, it's the kind of book where I chuckle out loud at the silliness.

Welches Buch wirst du lesen? (Which book will you read next?)

No comments:

Post a Comment