21 June 2012

Driven and Tossed

In Scotland, the weather changes every 5 minutes, so if you don't like the weather, just wait for the wind to change it.....

But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. -James 1.6

I like this glowing light that's coming into my room at this time of day. Just as the sun is getting close to the horizon it casts an orange radiance in the clear sky. I sit here reflecting in my favourite wingback chair watching the wind blow the trees westerly. It is somehow comforting watching the wind by way of the trees. We can feel the wind but cannot see where it comes from or where it goes, except through the tangible things it moves.

I don't want to be tossed by the wind, though, I realize that I sometimes am. Something in my day may toss me away from my center, and if I don't focus back on God and forget that it's not about me, I'll be hopelessly flying circles in the sky, or at the mercy of the wind, like a kite.

But James is telling us that the testing of our faith will come with trials, but we are to ask for wisdom from God with no doubts in our hearts, for that is when we are like a helpless kite blowing carelessly by the wind. Who knows where we will end up? At that point, you've lost your roots and you need to get grounded again.

I am taking notes on this as something I need to remember as the deep thickness of uncertainty surrounds me. This is where tests of my faith are going on. I wait for You, Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment