13 June 2012

Beauty of Dreams

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
-Eleanor Roosevelt



True, 'tis a narrow path that leads to bliss,
But right before there is no precipice:
Fear makes men look aside, and then their footing miss
-John Dryden (1672)


It wasn't too long ago that I was living here, at Florida Southern (this photo is of Annie Pfeiffer Chapel, just one of the many buildings on campus designed by Frank Lloyd Wright). I like to drive through campus every now and then, to check on things (they've made so many beautification and restoration changes!), and to remember those days, as they were good times. It was a time where anything seemed possible after graduation. So it got me pondering....why isn't anything possible now? Well after graduation?

As I think more and more about my dreams, I ask myself what am I doing right now to inch me closer to making that dream happen? What prep work am I doing and what is the ultimate goal?
When someone dreams so big, it inspires me, and rubs off on me. Why am I afraid to dream big? I don't want fear to cause me to lose my footing, like John Dryden writes about in 1672.
One of my dreams is to be a freelance writer and be able to travel and live wherever I want while doing something I love. That is a pretty big dream because the competition is out there, and one has to become recognized, which is a hard thing to do. However, I have been making lists of ideas, searching for leads, and writing as much as possible. Practice practice practice! Right? You can't start a grand journey without taking a little step....

No comments:

Post a Comment