14 June 2012

Window Seat


Continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
-2 Timothy 3.14-15

I am sitting by my window in my favourite chair, watching the rain fall and the trees rustle and sway, and I recall when I was younger I kind of liked to do the same thing when there was a storm outside. I would seek out a cozy spot for me and my book. It was as if the darkening outside gloominess made the lit indoors seem so inviting.

We remember our childhood with vivid images and memories. We remember the morals and values instilled in us without even thinking about it, in the decisions we make and the way we choose to live each day.

When we are "lucky" enough to have been raised by loving parents with Christian values, where the parents were good models to look up to, we don't have to be newly acquainted with Scripture because we grew up learning it. Many others are not so fortunate.

We have no excuse, then, to say and do things that hurt others or ourselves, and yet in our selfishness we choose to ignore, sometimes, things that we knew growing up. Paul's second letter to Timothy caused me to reflect on the invaluable upbringing I was blessed with from my parents. Indelible ink of love on my soul.

We can, perhaps, train ourselves to ask more and more often how the thing which we are saying or doing (or failing to do) at each moment will look when the irresistible light streams in upon it; that light which is so different from the light of this world- and yet, even now, we know just enough of it to take it into account.
-C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment