24 June 2012

Good Morning, Psalms


When my soul was embittered,
when I was pricked in the heart,
I was brutish and ignorant;
I was like a beast toward you.

Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.

Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I
desire besides you.

-Psalm 73. 21-25

The Psalms sometimes have words that eerily read like they are written from my own heart. Like prayers spoken in the quiet of the night or the early morning. It is astonishing how the Psalmist's words from thousands of years ago can sink into my heart as I ponder them today.

The sun rises everyday, sometimes behind dark clouds or a dreary mood, but no matter my outlook God has given all of us this day as a gift that we are meant to use for God's glory. Even though I feel "pricked in the heart" sometimes due to my own emotion and choices, God is there, giving me another day with so many things to be thankful for. What else do I need to desire? Okay, I'm human, there are many things that I desire, but God wants me to focus all my desires on Him, which is what this section of Psalm 73 reminds me. It brings me back to what is really important, because frankly, I can lose sight of that too easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment