19 June 2012

God is Big

Yosemite National Park

...who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.
-Hebrews 11.33-34


A week or so ago I wrote about faith being a victory, and then this morning I read this passage and was given a whole list of examples of such a truth. I think we tend to lose sight of the bigness of God sometimes. We think about how He loves us and knows our hearts, but what about the fact that He can defeat armies, conquer kingdoms, part the sea, and make city walls tumble down? I think this is why we can dream big, too. Nothing is impossible with God. When I think of earthly examples of God's bigness, I flash back to my family's time in Yosemite, three years ago. How can you stand in the valley at Yosemite looking 360° around you at the towering mountains, cliffs, waterfalls, and Half Dome, and not feel God's grandeur? I felt so tiny in the midst of God's creative imagination with how He can arrange landscapes. I am always astounded looking back at my photographs, with how much they look like paintings. How can that be real? It's so amazing!

Surely these are amazing things, and sometimes we might read about such amazing things in the Bible as if they were some myth. But they happened. It is not just a story. It is recorded, written as if in a journal, with details about what happened. These writings have survived thousands of years and still speaks the same truth. The power in these writings is like nothing else we can ever read. All the most incredible books in the world, combined, do not compare with the Bible.
It is "breathed out by God" as 2 Timothy 3.16 tells us, and it is meant for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness.
God is BIG. Believe and put your faith in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment