08 February 2013

Oxford English Dictionary

My imagination can run for miles with a new word. I love the companionship of a dictionary because there are so many interesting words that I do not know, and I can use them!
Over the years in all my wisdom, I have realized that it is not very practical to carry around a dictionary. I imagine the bulky book would become a hindrance, even to someone like me, who is a self-confessed bibliophile. So this is a problem. I can pull out my handy smartphone and get onto the internet easily enough, but I am old fashioned. I want to use books like everyone else before my lifetime.

So, when I saw this little version of the Oxford English Dictionary, I was ecstatic.
I know. I realize how nerdy this entire post is.

Let me back up. For several years I have wanted a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, but the volume is as big as my car and weighs as much (okay, I might be exaggerating a little). They are also expensive, even used. So, I have waited, knowing that someday by OED will come.

Flash forward to last week. I am in NYC, in the New York Public Library gift shop, and sitting there on the table display is the perfect little mini OED! It fits in the palm of my hand and can be my travel companion, which I am sure is what everyone else wants too. Now, I know you all are going to rush out to purchase your own OED, because you have been without one for so long. You can thank me later.

Perhaps this demonstrates to you how easily pleased I am. NYC + mini OED = one boisterous red-headed nerd. So much so that I dedicated an entire post to my mini  OED.

No comments:

Post a Comment