06 February 2013

Waldorf-Astoria

Before I begin, allow me to say that the only reason my friend and I were able to stay at this famous and classy hotel in New York City was that we traveled off season (who wants to visit NYC in the coldest week in January? Other than me, I mean?) and we found a super deal on Priceline.com. And I mean, a super deal.

I think Zoë
 and I would place our stamp of approval on the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in Manhattan. It is perfectly located (just a few blocks from Grand Central Terminal), classy, expensively decorated, and comfortable. It may seem that a richly decorated hotel cannot be comfortable, and yet, even though Zoë and I usually felt under-dressed every time we walked through the lobby, we sat down in the lobby one evening to people-watch and read, and it was very interesting. We also shared an elevator with one of the Jonas Brothers. Not sure which one, as I don't know their names, but I definitely recognized him. Sadly, he did not invite us to the $98 Sunday brunch in the lobby that he was on his way to. Maybe next time he will.

The attention to detail at the Waldorf is much appreciated. Attentive people work there. Luxurious soaps and linens. Zoë
 was giddy with excitement to be staying there, and we kept our eyes open for any other well-known person who might have been staying there. Photos framed the hallways of all the famous people who have stayed there, including Presidents and well-known singers. Reminders that the hotel has a long history and has been a place of rest for many years. Late one evening before we got ready to crash in the comfortable beds, we wandered around the hotel, discovering stairways and halls so grand, it felt like we'd entered a palace. Ballrooms that were completely decorated for a wedding or meeting, and shining glass chandeliers around every corner. And it was completely empty. Not a soul was around, so we just wandered by ourselves. The gold clock tower in the lobby attracts many admirers. This is from London, and was created for the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. The Waldorf purchased it and it has been a focal point ever since.





No comments:

Post a Comment