01 February 2013

Train & Plane Read

Persuasion by Jane Austen

...there could have been no two hearts so open, no tastes so similar  no feelings so in unison, no countenances so beloved.
(Persuasion, Jane Austen, page 60)

I read almost this entire book exclusively on my flights and train rides this past week, and it was a perfect companion to my solo travel ventures.

Persuasion was the first Jane Austen novel I read (probably ten years ago), and at that time, I was not nearly as well-read and did not fully appreciate Jane Austen. Since I had never read anything by her, I was not attuned to her way of writing. It definitely deserves a more attentive and focused reader. Jane Austen writes from a narrative voice of an unknown storyteller above all the events, which is how all of Austen's novels are written. But in Persuasion, we see what Anne Elliot sees. She was persuaded to break her engagement with Captain Wentworth 8 1/2 years before the novel takes place, and she thinks all hope is lost for ever being reunited to him. She is positive that he detests her. But something brings them together again, among common friends, and slowly they grow to talk again. Each of them has lost hope, though, and Anne considers herself quite desolate of his friendship.

And yet....

Other circumstances ensue and another man enters the picture who is attentive to Anne, and Captain Wentworth cannot stand it because he has only thought of Anne. Anne is not interested in the money-hungry Mr. Elliot, but it brings about certain interesting events that brings Anne and Captain Wentworth together; which is where they should be.

I am glad Persuasion was my traveling companion for my recent travels.  It sure made the time fly by in the plane and on the train from Grand Central Terminal to New Haven, CT (a good two hour ride). I hold this book dear because it is the first Jane Austen novel I read, and it is one of my favourites. Does anyone have a favourite book to read while traveling?

No comments:

Post a Comment