31 August 2012

Long Weekend Reading

It seems like a long weekend is due. I know that I need a day off, how about you? So, a weekend with family sounds good. And reading. Lots of reading.

Last weekend in Gainesville I discovered a used bookstore that is literally two minutes from my brother's house (how have I never been there before??). Therefore, a stop a this bookstore was a must. I had a book in my hands before I even entered the store. They had shelves outside on the sidewalk, and I found a 1971 version of C.S. Lewis' The Last Battle. I love this old version with the colorful front and cheesy descriptions on the back cover. Finding the old versions of beloved favourites is such a treat. When I left the bookstore, I had a whole armful of books. That's my favourite kind of book shopping. All used. All books I have been looking for.


Here's a few books that will be in my hands this weekend:

The Bible- this is of course the most important. I read through 1 Kings and now I am reading 2 Kings. I don't think I have ever been so engrossed in reading the Old Testament as I have been lately. These stories are crazy! Check it out for yourself....

Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury- I just finished reading this. I couldn't put it down. Again, another classic that I have never read. This book is so good on so many levels. The writing, the story, the morals, the way he wrote this in the 1950s predicting a future world that takes place today, and how scarily accurate he predicted our world to be. It deals with government censorship and book burning. Books are banned because they create "confusion" when people read them and think for themselves.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson- I just started reading this and it's so quirky and dark. I like that. The characters are interesting and keeping me engrossed in this murder mystery. The whimsical tones and descriptions are so appealing to me. Here's an example, "I remember that I stood on the library steps holding my books and looking for a minute at the soft hinted green in the branches against the sky and wishing, as I always do, that I could walk home across the sky instead of through the village (pg 4)."

The Works of John Donne- John Donne (1572-1631) is what they call a metaphysical poet. His poems are pretty difficult reading. I have read several before and really like his Divine Poems and look forward to challenging myself with reading his others.

The Yearling, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings- This is another classic that I have never read, even though it takes place in Florida where Rawlings lived. I was browsing online and saw a short discussion on this book, and I am eager to read it.

October Country, Ray Bradbury- This is a collection of short stories. Eerie stories. It is almost that Autumn Halloween time of year, so I am getting in the spirit. I am becoming a fan of Ray Bradbury. I am normally drawn to the British writers, but he is an excellent American writer, so I will be seeking out his books even more.

Rilke, New Poems 1908, The Other Part- I found this at the used bookstore and it has even more Rilke poems that I have not seen yet. As I have been saying a lot lately, I can't seem to get enough of Rilke.

What are you reading now?

No comments:

Post a Comment