06 August 2012

Thankfulness

This feeling of thankfulness has been surrounding me. There is so much going wrong in this world that you can quickly overwhelm yourself with negative thoughts and feelings of despair. I find that the more I am thankful for the little things- a smile, a hug, time with someone, silly times laughing- all help me focus on the good that is already present in my life.

Yes, there is a time for thinking, debating, and pondering about the world and the issues, but while these dark shadows cover our days we can still sing praises of thanks to God, for it is only because of God that we have anything good. All that we celebrate in life is possible because of God's steadfast love. Prayers of thanks have been my offerings lately.

I wake each morning and roll out of bed with prayers fluttering in my head. These are little thanks to God as I make my bed and pick out an outfit. They might be sleepy, maybe groggy prayers, but it's a new day and anything is possible. I want to hand over my day immediately before I have the chance to mess it up. Letting God take the lead from the moment I wake up seems like the best plan.

But I will sing of your strength;
I will sing aloud of your steadfast
love in the morning...
Psalm 59.16

No comments:

Post a Comment