21 May 2014

Wanderlust


Light, space, zest -- that's God!
So with Him on my side I am fearless, afraid of no one and nothing.
 - Psalm 27.1


It strikes without warning. It grows in my mind and doesn't let go. Daydreams ensue without instigation. The sensation that I need to go. To travel. To adventure.
To get away!
It's not because life here is bad or dreary. On the contrary, life here is pretty swell.

It is something I cannot help. This wanderlust in me is part of who I am. I am someone who needs to travel every few months. It doesn't always have to be a big trip, but somewhere different from where I live.

Adventure may vary for everyone. For some, it has to be something daring like rock climbing. But it could be as simple as going to a coffee shop or exploring a neighborhood. I am not the rock climbing sort. Little adventures do satisfy me.

I will take a long walk in the mountains, or a steep hike to a waterfall. The air still and silent, but then permeating with the sound of rushing water in the distance.

I will take a book with me to a coffee shop and be immersed in a place full of life, coffee, and conversations.

In about a month, I will drive up steep, curving mountain roads to a lovely home on the edge of the mountain overlooking the Blue Ridge. I will sit outside on the huge porch we will have and just be there in the mountains with a journal in my lap and coffee by my side.

I like to experience little towns, big cities, scenic drives, people, and nature that are different from what I see each day. It is good to have ones eyes opened apart from the norm. While I do have some big dreams of places far away to visit, I want to see all I can of this giant and beautiful country. There is so much I haven't seen. I'd say a good mixture of the two will be the solution to my wanderlust problem. Or is it a problem.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment