30 May 2014

Delightfully Drizzly Evening


O look, look in the mirror,
O look in your distress;
Life remains a blessing
Although you cannot bless.

O stand at the window
As the tears scald and start;
You shall love your crooked neighbor
With your crooked heart.

- W.H. Auden

I am listening and watching the rain fall from the vantage point of my cozy second floor home. It is one of the best sounds I think. Especially when it is that medium sized, constant drops, falling straight down with some intermittent thunder rolling through.

When was the last time you listened to the rain? If it was when you were working on a project or drafting an email with rain as the background sound that doesn't count. What I am asking is different. I mean just being immersed in the moments of melody produced by falling water. We take for granted the abundance of rain we get here. Even when we feel dry, the rain comes eventually and restores our grass and plants. But there are regions in the world who very rarely ever get rain, and when they do, it is a spectacle. (Reading my friend Amber's blog of her Middle East desert life is a reminder of the myriad of differences in other areas of the world)

It is a delightfully drizzly evening. These kinds of days or evenings flood me with inspiration to muse and be thoughtful. This poem by W.H. Auden causes me to be thoughtful. It makes me look inwardly at myself to ask how well do I love? My love is full of fault lines. Bumps that reveal my humanity. And yet through the imperfections and lack of love I show sometimes, my life is blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment