01 May 2014

Oxford Books (1)


My weakness is books. Anyone who knows me knows that.
Being in Oxford for a few weeks allowed me a lot of time to spend as I pleased, in bookshops. Therefore, many books came home with me (and made my luggage really really heavy). I cannot resist books that I would not be able to find here in the States. Finding books in Oxford by my favourite authors who lived there in Oxford is such a dream. That is what happened with several of the books I bought. Here are some of the books I bought in Oxford (yes, there are more that I will share later).

Yours, Jack - letters by C.S. Lewis - I have read many letters of C.S. Lewis and I have wanted the multi-volume set of his collected letters, but they are pretty expensive, so when I saw this book of collected letters I jumped at the chance to read them. To those close to C.S. Lewis, he was known as "Jack". That is what he wanted to be called when he was a little boy, and how he signed many of his letters. I am more than halfway through and the letters are so enjoyable. It is like reading little snippets of his logical mind on Christian matters. He helps others in their struggles. They are inspiring to read. I am underlining a lot of sections.

Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien - I picked up this used copy of a collection of tales from Middle Earth in the Oxfam bookshop on Turl Street. Many of these tales explain more about certain people or situations that occurred in The Lord of the Rings or before those books take place. I have only just begun reading it, and really look forward to learning more about the mysterious world of Middle Earth through Tolkien's imagination. I have been wanting to re-read The Lord of the Rings, and this may prep me for it.

All Things Considered AND Stories, Essays, and Poems by G.K. Chesterton - These are the two Chesterton books I got in Oxford. One of which was bought for me by a random lady in the bookshop who approached me and offered to buy me a book. Read more about that lovely tale in my post HERE.
I am such a fan of Chesterton. He was an amazingly talented writer who wrote about every topic under the sun, even politics,  religion, etc...and does it with such a whimsical tone that even when he is critiquing something I find myself smiling at his wit. I thoroughly enjoy his essays and his thoughts.


Toast & Marmalade by Emma Bridgewater -
I stumbled upon this beautifully photographed and written coffee table book at Blackwell's Bookshop and was so enthralled by the recipes, writing, and photos of English life, I had to buy it. Funny enough, Emma Bridgewater designs pottery (mugs, bowls, etc..) and I bought my Mum a lovely mug a year or more ago from her collection. Her designs are simple, but colourful and fun. I wanted to buy one of her mugs while in Oxford. I love mugs and bowls. I debated and debated with myself, and went into a little shop numerous times looking at the large collection. I ended up not buying myself any mug, but I will one day. (I think my problem was I bought so many books that I had to stop myself somewhere!)


Shining Like Stars by Lindsay Brown -
I bought this book at the church I attended in Oxford, St. Ebbes. They had a book sale after the service, where two large tables were full of Christian books and they were all only £
1 each! How could I resist? This book is about Christianity in the universities around the world, which seemed appropriate as I was at Oxford University. Seemed like an interesting topic to read about. I haven't started reading it yet, but it's on my queue. 

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - I couldn't resist reading this while in Oxford, so I picked up a new copy. So delightful. So witty. So imaginative. I have already written about Alice in my post HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment