03 September 2014

Guard Your Heart


Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
- Proverbs 4.23

I realize that we live in a time where our lives have become more and more like open books partially boosted by all the social media that has grown to be countless websites that allows us to share a multitude of personal things with relative strangers. While there is a fun aspect to sharing something every now and then, I occasionally scroll through my newsfeed and see some people opening themselves up way too much.

I am a naturally introverted and private person. You might laugh at that because here I am writing on this blog everyday with details about my life and musings that I have, and that is scary to me. However my love of growing as a writer and letting my imagination run free is assisted by the challenge of writing everyday, and it is even more challenging because I need to come up with something that I think is worth posting. Sometimes I write a post and delete it, or completely modify it so it is something different, or leave it for a week to brew into something worthy of being shared.

But when it comes down to it, we should all be careful to keep our lives quiet and to ourselves and not feel the need to share everything. Allow the mystery to stay alive. Random people from your high school years that you don't ever talk to don't need to know everything about you. Too much information being shared comes across as ego-centric, anyway. One may wonder what they do all day but think about what they can post about just to get a reaction and attention. Most importantly, as we share we should always guard our hearts, for being out there opens us up, and we should be aware of how that affects us.

It is just something that has been on my mind lately and I think needs to still be learned in this modern tech age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment