29 September 2014

Venice Charms






My hometown has many charms to offer. Since I haven't been a resident of Venice for about nine years, each time I go back to visit I like to be a tourist. That means going downtown, browsing an antique store, finding a local coffee shop where everybody knows everybody. To stop at the beach and taste the salty air on an early morning before it gets too hot.

As we drive to the beach, my head glances over to the tree that was planted in my Dad's honour by friends of the family, which is a little oak tree growing taller and fuller each day. It sits about two blocks from Venice Beach. It reminds us how Dad was like a mighty oak tree, himself. He was a lover of nature and trees.

Watching my little niece play and squeal with delight in the Gulf waters you cannot help but smile at the innocent wonderment that she holds. I love watching her with curiosity in her eyes, and the joyful abandon she has.

While I love to be at my home relaxing, it is nice to get out of town and slow down to a different beat of family. No chores beckon to me while I am away. And I listen to the gentle waves with new appreciation. As if on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment