07 January 2015

Jolly Old Grammar Book



I found this old English handbook book from 1939 and started reading though the sage advice on how to write paragraphs and how to write with style. I am getting a kick out of it. 

I love under the "Maturity" section it says - "If you naturally express your thoughts in childish language it is true you cannot grow up overnight."

What person is going to read that and think "Oh yes, I do express my thoughts in a childish manner"?


One thing I actually do love is how the first reference book listed as a resource in section 77 for checking your use of words is Owen Barfield's History in English Words. Barfield is so good, and I long to read more of his books. He is most certainly a master of words. He was in the Inklings with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, of course.

From the section on "Faulty Expressions", I loved these (for they made me chuckle):


Alright - The correct form is all right. There are no such forms as all-right, allright, or alright. Used in the sense of satisfactory, or certainly or very well, the expression should be avoided in formal writing.

Boughten - Dialectal for bought.

Drownded - The correct form is drowned.

Funny - Colloquial for strange, queer, odd.

Gent - Vulgar for gentleman.

Mad - Mad means insane. It is colloquial for angry.

Might of - Illiterate for might have.


Swell - Colloquial for stylish, fashionable, smartly clothed. Slang for excellent, very good, interesting, enjoyable, and a host of other words expressing approval or commendation. 

Alright gents, it sure has been swell reading this grammar book. It is funny how I have boughten it when I might not of.
(Oh, it hurts me to write sentences like this)

No comments:

Post a Comment