26 January 2015

Tulips and a London Guidebook



Rainy morning, wind-swept dew
A day to start off slow
With grass dark, rain-soaked through
A cup of tea is ready now


I woke up to the sounds of rain drops and some wind. Morning rose, but a greyness still covered the land in the quickness of a cold front, the wind-swept clouds burst with their rains, passed through, and departed. The wind gusted extravagantly, then suddenly the air was still. The cold air that is behind the clouds pushes them southwards, eager to fill the air and stretch out along our lakes and land. And the sun came, and is shining brightly. I am thrilled by this cold and excited that it will stick around for the week, and beyond. Though, to most others, this cold weather I speak of would seem like a warm welcomed change from their frigid air. 

It feels like the weekend just began and now we are already beginning the next week. Where did this weekend time go? Where did last week go? Do you feel like that, too?
If you had a day with nothing on your list, no chores, no emails to reply to, no places to go, what would be the number one thing you would do?

I found this little London guidebook, first published in 1967, at the library, and spent the morning reading the old-fashioned ways of travel to and around one of my favourite cities. I made a pot of Yorkshire tea and drank it as I read. In case you were wondering, in Yorkshire (a large county in Northeast England) they make the very best tea. I know, because the best tea I ever had was in York, a darling town in that region. I discovered that my grocery store carries said Yorkshire tea, and it is far superior than any other black tea. If you'd like to try, just stop by and I will make a pot of tea.


It is tulip-o-clock! And my tulips are bloomed and looking lovely. This is the only time of year I get to have tulips live and in-person, so it is delightful to have these in my home. They are my favourite flower. Since my weekend seemed to disappear, I'll just conclude these rambling musings with the appreciation of the weekend, and sleeping in a little bit, and drinking delicious coffee and tea, and reading a few books.

No comments:

Post a Comment