23 January 2015

Today is a Beauty


I may be hitting the snooze button a few times these mornings, but when I do wake up, I stretch and take a deep breath. Today is a good day. Full of beauty. I like to lay there on my back for a few minutes and say a morning prayer of thanks. Simple thoughts wake up my mind and center my heart on the goodness of the Lord within minutes of opening my eyes.

What do you do when you wake up? How do you begin your day?

I know that this day has so much potential.
Yesterday is over. A new day dawns. Old things of the past can be forgotten and forgiven.

As I plug in my electric kettle and my coffee grinder, I think about how I love the mornings. Especially when I can move slow. Especially when I can smell the coffee. If I hit the snooze button a few times I may not be able to be as slow as I wish, but I still complete these same rituals. I am extremely thankful that my boss does not require me to be there at a certain time on the dot each day. Plus or minus a few minutes isn't a big deal. While the coffee is brewing in the french press, I pick up my Bible and read another chapter.

I try to keep myself from reading more than a chapter. The wispy thin pages need not turn. I don't want to rush through the words so that my eyes glance over and forget them a moment later. I want the words to take root and sink in deep. I meander over the verses with a clear mind in the morning. I pay attention to the words and who is speaking. What is the situation? What are the questions being asked? What does this mean for today? So many dots have been connected in my morning routine of reading Scripture slowly while the world is quiet, and my mind is quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment