22 January 2015

Use Up Creativity


You can't use up creativity. The more you use it, the more you have.
-Maya Angelou

Every single day. Even when I am tired or not feeling like I am inspired. Most of the best creating is done when you must dig deep for the right word. The very best is worth digging for. It is worth a little bit of creative sweat. But really, there are times where I just want to be lazy, you know? Kick back with the remote control and spend hours watching television. Actually, no. That's not true. I don't watch television. I don't even have cable.

It's about not being lazy. But it is about being purposeful and not letting the creativity stop. It is about always creating. Always thinking. Always practicing. Always learning.

Sometimes all it takes is me sitting down with my journal open, and if I can muster the strength to pick up a pen, something happens and the words come out as I put that pen to the page. Something emerges in ink scribbles after a few minutes, and as I let my eyes read it when the thoughts are translated to the page, sometimes I see potential. Sometimes I turn the page and keep writing. More practice. You can't use up creativity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment