29 January 2015

About Travelling


I woke up this morning with this song in my head, with all these harmonies singing about travelling. 
So-  how you feel about travelling?


No matter what I am travelling for (business of pleasure) I try to seek opportunities to look afresh at the daily norms of people and places with open eyes of wonder and curiosity.  To travel is to place oneself outside of the comfortable box we have and into a world of unknowns, even if it is travels to a place already known.

You never know what kind people you might meet. Or interesting scenes you might see. Or just people-watching at the airport, or at a park. Or what about new sights of a place you may have been to before.

To me, it is an adventure. It doesn't have to be crazy, but simply taking the trip is the adventure. The journey is part of that adventure. When I travel, my imagination expands as the always-going-never-stopping-world offers endless possibilities. That means there are observations to be had around every corner. Then, surely thoughts and musings will follow. Sometimes I will watch someone and think about how much God loves them, and I wonder if that person knows it.

God is present everywhere. At the airport, on the train, at the baggage claim, and at the car rental counter. I like to look for signs, or fingerprints, of God's presence in these normally mundane places. Pass-through spots can hold a lot of moments of beauty. Oftentimes, in our daily lives so full of routine, we miss seeing God's fingerprints on something small or simple. Travelling helps reopen my eyes to these things.

With that said- see you soon St. Louis!

No comments:

Post a Comment