29 May 2011

Last Minute Studying

Much of my time during lunch breaks has been spent at a little downtown spot, Black 'n Brew. I grab lunch, or coffee, pick a table by the original brick wall, and pull out my copy of Pride and Prejudice. I mean, I am going to England in a few days, and I am taking a class on Jane Austen at Oxford University, I better get some last minute studying in. Indeed, re-reading Pride and Prejudice has been such fun. My softcover copy was purchased in Newcastle, England, two years ago. I will admit, it was not my favorite Jane Austen book, but now I think it is. And here is why:

How many of us pre-judge people upon just meeting them? How many of us get the scoop on someone from another source? We form opinions of people based on what other opinions are out there, and don't take the time to form our own conclusion by observing and asking for ourselves. Hence, we miss the chance to know someone who is so genuine a person. That is the premise of Pride and Prejudice. Sure, only girls read it nowadays, but the lessons and situations are so applicable to everybody.

The thing I love about Pride and Prejudice is that while it does venture into some serious themes, it is a satire, and as I read the silliness that is written so eloquently, it makes me smile. It's a subtle comedy, and some of the lines have such wit, it makes me laugh. And it reminds me that while life can be serious sometimes, there is plenty of time for us to be silly and have fun, too.

Mr. Darcy said very little, and Mr. Hurst nothing at all. The former was divided between admiration of the brilliancy which exercise had given to her complexion, and doubt as to the occasion's justifying her coming so far alone. The latter was thinking only of his breakfast. (Chapter VII)

No comments:

Post a Comment