04 May 2011

Stories


Jesus said, “This is why I use stories to teach people. They see, but they don't really see. They hear, but they don't really hear or understand.”
Matthew 13.13

When I think about telling stories, I instantly think of my Dad. He loved to tell stories, and hear them. If you planned on having a quick conversation with him, that quick conversation quickly turned into an hour. I bet if you knew him and are reading this, you are smiling as I am, because you know he loved stories.

My Dad had a lot of stories he loved to tell. One of his favorites to tell about me was when I was very young, swinging out on the tire swing we had tied to our big tree in the front yard. My older brothers, Jason and Ryan, were outside with me, pushing me on the tire swing. They pushed me higher and higher until all the sudden the rope snapped and the tire went flying into the street with me attached. I am sure my brothers were scared for a second, until they saw that I was ok. My Dad would laugh every time he would tell this story. Not sure why he liked to tell this story so much. I think he liked to remember that I was pretty tough, even in a potentially dangerous situation. Being the only girl with three brothers, I had to be somewhat tough, since boys are rough and don't soften up for girls.

When I played basketball in the fourth grade (the first and last year I played, by the way), my Dad coached my team and he always tried to get me to be more aggressive. I wasn't throwing my elbows out enough, like he used to do when he played. He, being tall, thin, with long arms, was an ideal basketball player and he was always aggressive.

I am now experiencing the beginning of life without my Dad. Now, instead of hearing Dad's stories or telling him stories, I think or say “Dad would have loved this” or “I wish I could tell Dad stories of this”.

I find that I have become more like him, now. I am learning to slow down and enjoy a story. I am more of a listener, and I will gladly listen to a good story. It's taken me time to learn to stop and enjoy stories with someone. I have become especially appreciative of good, quality time spent with someone I care about. It means more to me than I can say. We have such little time here, with so much we want to do. So, if you are taking time to spend with me, I know you truly care about me and I am so thankful for you.

1 comment:

  1. i remember when i made deliveries to venice and stopped by the house to talk to tyler and your dad. it was meant to be a quick visit especially because i was working, but always ended up being a couple hours haha
    always great conversations!!!

    ReplyDelete