27 May 2011

The Praising Pen


My heart overflows with a pleasing theme;
I address my verses to the king;
my tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe.
- Psalm 45.1

I love this verse. It resonates so easily with me and my love of writing. While the psalmist compares his overflowing praises to a scribe ready to write down every word, I sometimes feel like that scribe sitting with the pen over a blank page. With words of praise overflowing in my heart, my hand can only write so fast. And in this verse, the psalmist so poetically articulates how I feel many times.

When we have good stories to tell, aren't we all like that? Don't we rush to our friends and family to share the news quickly? This is how we should be with God, too. Addressing our verses to the king with an abundance of praising language. For God hears our prayers as well as our praises. Spoken and written.

If you want to change the world, pick up your pen. - Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment