02 May 2011

Musical Musings


I have come to know such a joyful felicity when playing an instrument. It fosters creativity apart from what I am used to, with notes and pages full of a musical language much different from when I sit down a fill pages with my own notes.
I have only been playing the piano for a little over a year, and my skills are by no means worthy of attention, and yet when I sit and play a Minuet by J.S. Bach or Clocks by Coldplay I realize with amazement that I am creating the music that fills the space of my apartment.

Learning to read music is similar to learning a new language, and just like learning a new language, it takes time and practice to get accustomed to it. Translating the musical notes I read on the pages to my fingers pressing the correct keys is an effort of concentration and memorization. I am sure everyone's methods of learning varies greatly, and I tend to memorize the notes very quickly and play all my songs by memory after that. The problem with that is if I mess up, I may have a hard time going back to the start of a measure, and if I look to the sheet music, I have to find my place. So perhaps my method is not the best. I have much to learn.

I haven’t played for many people, just my family and a few close friends, but I have noticed that every time I play for someone, a new atmosphere is introduced into the room, and it’s lovely. I think it has to do with filling the air with living music. It is like music opened a door into a new realm of conversation. A conversation where the notes speak to each other and we are mere observers.

Music is mere beauty; it is beauty in the abstract, beauty in solution. It is a shapeless and liquid element of beauty. - G.K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment