06 September 2013

Reasons Why

I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word.
- John 8.42


We can get confused sometimes. Whether it be instructions we are given, books we read, wisdom we are enlightened with, or something we are told, it doesn't always register with us immediately. Oftentimes we shrug it off and let it go, and occasionally at a later date something reminds us of what we heard and the words spoken in advance begin to make sense in the present.

Jesus did this a lot. He spoke words to his disciples and they did not always understand what he was saying. They heard his words when he told them things such as:

I come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. (John 6.38)


I am going soon and where I am going you cannot come. (John 8.21)

It is not that we don't understand the words, but at the time they are spoken we do not grasp the meaning.

I think that is a significant thing to ponder. That there is a reason behind why certain things click with us down the road. Perhaps we were not ready to fully comprehend the meaning and therefore able to react appropriately, but now we are.

Jesus knew this about his disciples. He knew they would not understand what he was saying until later. And he knows it about us, too.

Do you ever wonder why something isn't revealed to you right away or that you don't realize something until later? There is probably a reason why, and most likely you will see it down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment