17 September 2013

Autumn Dreaming



The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

-Autumn, Emily Dickinson


My hair is tucked up at the nape of my neck and my legs are curled up under me. The light is fading, and candles burn now, offering a soft glow. Two skeins of yarn and a bamboo crochet hook rest on my sofa waiting for me to build a new project.

My cup of tea steeps and cools off before I start to drink it. I am dreamily thinking about Autumn, but I know it could be months before I get a true taste of the wonderful season of big maple leaves, hot soups, warm blankets, boots, scarves, pumpkins, and cinnamon scents. I wear shorts and have bare feet because Summer lingers. While others who live northward start picking out pumpkins and shuffle their feet through leaves we endure strong afternoon thunderstorms which offer temporary relief and we fake the Autumn season for awhile.

So, I will dream, and pretend a little by adding Autumn colours to my outfits and decor, by making tea, and lighting candles. And I will wait patiently, for the good things in life are worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment