10 September 2013

The Unknown, Remembered Gate


Through the unknown, remembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning

-T.S. Eliot


Our future is a great story waiting to be completed and fulfilled.

I am living in poetry. How can a few relatively simple words open up a whole world of imagination and thoughtful musing? I can read T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets time and time again and each time I am mystified in a different way. Sometimes my grasping is elusive and other times his words stick directly to my heart and imagination, to the pieces that need words of wonder.

The words do not exactly answer a question, but they raise questions and then you are left wondering if he meant that when he wrote it.

His words keep floating around in my head. They motivate my creative notions and I ponder the words:

Through the unknown, remembered gate....

The sentence itself is a paradox. How can you remember an unknown gate? How could you recognize something you have never seen? Intriguing.

Is that, perhaps, meaning something deeper? Such as what heaven will be like? Like an unknown, remembered gate? A place so familiar in the closest sense and yet somehow completely new.

I think it is. Like in Narnia, when the children see new creation. The new Narnia. They recognize it, but it is not the same. It is even better.

This incredible notion has had me pondering and musing because it is telling me that all that we create here and do here matters because it is a reflection of the true country we were all made for. The things we hold most dear are a part of what is to come.

And that gives me hope, and joy. To know that what I do here really does matter. It is part of the great story that we are all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment