17 December 2013

Made for Another World


"That is what makes life at once so splendid and strange. We are in the wrong world. When I thought that was the right town, it bored me; when I knew it was wrong, I was happy. So the false optimism, the modern happiness, tires us because it tells us we fit into this world. The true happiness is that we don't fit. We came from somewhere else. We have lost our way."
- G. K. Chesterton


This is how we should view this world. And Christmas should be a reminder of it, with the other world entering ours by way of a little baby Jesus, who didn't just come here to teach a few lessons when he grew up. He came here to bridge the gap between our world and the heavenly realm by a sacrifice, Jesus himself. And if we take to light what Chesterton writes in his short essay, this world is not where we belong. We are misplaced.

Don't you ever feel like you don't belong somehow? Or that something is missing? That you long for something that never seems to be able to be filled by anything here? No person or thing can fill. No security can contain what you think you grasp. That is exactly the longing for our true home. The place we belong. With God.

This was my contemplation over coffee today.
And also, I know I recently posted a photo almost the same as this one, but I have a new laptop which is really great, so I am just giving it a grand welcome because it is what I type and prepare all my posts on!

No comments:

Post a Comment