17 January 2014

Winter: Bundled



From Winter: My Secret
By Christina Rossetti

Or, after all, perhaps there's none:
Suppose there is no secret after all,
But only just my fun.
Today's a nipping day, a biting day;
In which one wants a shawl,
A veil, a cloak, and other wraps:
I cannot ope to every one who taps,
And let the draughts come whistling thro' my hall;
Come bounding and surrounding me,
Come buffeting, astounding me,
Nipping and clipping thro' my wraps and all.
I wear my mask for warmth: who ever shows
His nose to Russian snows
To be pecked at by every wind that blows?
You would not peck? I thank you good will,
Believe, but leave that truth untested still.

As much as I may have thought or said "golly it's chilly", especially while in my apartment, I'm loving it. I am loving that the air is colder this week. I am loving that the evenings and mornings require scarves, and the warmth of the indoors is inviting after being outside for while. I love the walks outside. I love bundling up.

Somehow the air feels cleaner. Smells fresher. Even while it is colder. It is because it is cold. And I cannot even say "cold" so much because the 40s and 50s are warm temperatures to those who live in the northern states who were dealing with negative digits recently. Now, that's frigid!

Don't mistake my comment about being chilly as a complaint. Don't think that I am dreaming of summer. I am trying to soak in all the wonderful days that we have had lately, because these are my favourite days of the year in Florida. It is blissfully chilly out, and there are more days ahead that are full of this goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment