28 October 2014

Did I Forget To Mention Books?



You know I cannot go to a city and not scope out the used bookstores. It is a must-do for me. I can be in the most strange city, but the moment I enter a used bookstore I feel at home, among the books.
This lovely little basement bookstore in Savannah is The Book Lady Bookstore.

The store was greatly overstocked, so there were stacks of books everywhere and I had to manouver over several stacks in the back room where I found an old Elizabeth Goudge book for $2. I could have spent hours there looking more closely at the stacks everywhere, but in the time we were there I did manage to find two books, The Rosemary Tree by Elizabeth Goudge, published in 1956, and a nice hardback Oxford English Dictionary that is more expansive than the little mini one I have for my everyday bag. This one was published at the Oxford University Press in 1960.

In case you are wondering, yes, I do enjoy reading through the dictionary. That evening, I sat at the dining room table as Jen was preparing dinner and I read difficult words from the dictionary to her, and she had to guess the meaning of the words. A few times she came shockingly close to the real meaning! And when Jake called her to say he was on his way home, he asked what we were up to, and Jen said she was cooking dinner and that I was reading the dictionary. She paused and then replied to Jake saying "I promise, she is actually sitting at the table reading a dictionary!" Yes, I am that one who loves words that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment