13 October 2014

Library Treasure



I almost did not go to the library today, mainly because I had several other errands I needed to do that could probably be seen as more important than books at the library. Actually, nothing is quite as important as books, however, I fear not everyone shares that outlook. But I live so close to the library, and a search in their book sale section doesn't take me long. So, I went. There is only one row of books. I always head straight to the literature section, naturally.

By now you know that I am an avid C.S. Lewis reader. I have every book I can possibly get, within reason (I had the chance to purchase a few first edition Lewis books in that little catholic bookshop in Oxford across from Christ Church College, but I just could not spend $60 on a book, however much I would have loved to have it). This particular title is one that has been on my Amazon wish list, but because it is close to $20, I haven't ever ordered it. I've also never seen it in a store, except in Oxford at Blackwell's.

So, when my eyes caught sight of The Discarded Image at the library, sitting there in the literature section, my heart did a little dance and a smile must have been on my face because I pulled it off the shelf I almost could not believe my eyes. I opened it and saw the price, $1.00. It must be my day, was all I could think. If this particular book was in a used bookstore, it would easily have been marked $20 or more. I don't believe in luck, but imagine that!

Then I looked at the publication date. 1964. I suspected it might be a first edition, especially since it was printed in Great Britain and there was no reprint date. C.S. Lewis wrote this, of course, when he lived and taught at Cambridge University at the end of his life. He died in 1963, and this must have been published the following year. When I got home and looked up the publication date online, it was 1964. So, I hold in my hands something so valuable to me, a lover of books, reading, writing, and all things English, for $1.00. You just never know when a sudden and joyous blessing will jump into your day! But I do know there are reasons for everything. Thank goodness I decided to take the time to go to the library today!

No comments:

Post a Comment