26 June 2014

Getting Lost in the Books


It is an easy thing for me to do.
Get lost in books.
Summer is the perfect time to get lost in books because it's so hot outside. What else should you do? Read, of course. The library is a place of reprieve from the heat and it's full of books you weren't looking for but stumble across. I love when that happens.

What kinds of books do you get lost in?
If a book engages my imagination I can read super-fast. But I am caught in a dilemma because if I enjoy it I want to slow down so I can savor it and not rush. But I don't.

It's like eating. Some of us tend to eat really fast and barely chew the food. You see it on the plate, turn around, and it's gone. I eat slowly, and like to taste each bite. So, I am pretty much always the last one eating.

Sometimes, though, when reading, I act like a rapid eater.

Here are a few books I have devoured very recently:

100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson
This young adult book is about a 12 year old boy who goes to stay with his aunt and uncle's farm with three other cousins. He sleeps in the attic room, and one night he hears bumps in the wall, which is covered in plaster, but when he chips away at all the plaster, he discovers 100 cupboards in the wall that all lead to different places. It's a little creepy, thrilling, and adventurous, with just a little bit of magic. It's a fun read, for sure.

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
If you know J.D. Salinger, you kind of know what to expect. Bad language, but interesting thoughts. Two stories in one. Franny is a college student and she is tired of the selfish culture in which she lives, but doesn't know what to think about the religious and spiritual paths she is exploring. She kinds of suffers a breakdown, which is where Zooey, her older brother, steps into the story. He's there at the apartment with her and does what an older brother would do. Offers advice and also tells her things like they are, causing her to cry but finally understand something deeper. There's no action in this book. It's all conversations that explore that young culture in 1955.

No comments:

Post a Comment