03 May 2013

Spring Reading List

I haven't posted a book list lately. I assure you it is not because I'm not reading! Though, my life has been crazy-busy (pardon the lackadaisical verbiage) and I haven't been able to devote as much time to reading as I desire. But the books I am reading are really good, and I thought it was about time to share them. Here we go! I will have more in-depth musings on them at a later time, if I have not provided some thoughts on them already.

Doctor's Eyes Only, Tom Martin, CFP

The regional director of the company I now work for wrote this book, along with some other contributors from my company. It is like reading a personal finance book geared toward physicians (who we specialize in serving). And yet this book is different from any finance book because it draws from Biblical principles about money and wealth, opening with the story of Solomon. I am amazed by that, but then again, not so surprised since that is what I have encountered with my company. The advice in this book is practical for anyone to read for the principles of personal finance, even for those of us who don't have the salary of doctors. I am enjoying it.

All My Road Before Me, The Diary of C.S. Lewis 1922-1927

I don't know why I never read C.S. Lewis' diary before now. These entries are his early years at Oxford when he was still studying, before he became a Christian, and yet his journal has so many hints of his catching glimpses of what he refers to as the real joy. It is so intriguing. Not to mention all his descriptions of places he goes to and from in Oxford. I have been to many of those places and can picture exactly where he is talking about. The best part is I am reading this book with a reading-buddy overseas, and we compare notes about Lewis and we share little interesting anecdotes as we read through passages.

Dead Souls, Nikolai Gogol
A Russian author born in 1809, this book has opened my eyes to the Russian authors and I think I will be adding more Russians to my reading list. I was surprised by the wit and the good story telling that keeps me on the edge, guessing what is going to happen in the next conundrum the main character encounters. I already mused a little about this book HERE.

At the Back of the North Wind, George MacDonald
MacDonald is a master at making a fairy tale story relate to real life with the most profound lessons learned through the eyes and story of a young adult or child. I feel like I understand God's character better through MacDonald's writings. I mused about this book HERE.

W.B. Yeats Poetry

I think I go through moods in my poetry reading. Sometimes I get stuck on reading one person, and I forget about checking out others I may not have read. I always knew about Yeats, but never read his poems. Suddenly, I was drawn to him and I bought this book while in Indiana to get to know this Irish poet born in Dublin in 1865 at the height of Victorianism. I am getting lost in his words and slowly learning his poetry. 

2 comments:

  1. Hoping to start At the Back of the North Wind today! V. Excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I have had this one on hold so I will have to jump back in so we can talk about it too!

    ReplyDelete