01 May 2013

Welcome Summer

I am reluctantly welcoming Summer....yes, that's right. Summer. Already. And I am not really welcoming it, as much as I am trying to tolerate it in a fun way. That is how it has felt for the past week. In Florida, it happens without warning. The warm-up comes in a flash and doesn't let go. Before you know it, you are drowning in humidity. So I felt the only way to resist resisting the warmth is to embrace a cold, old-fashioned cherry soda. All I want in the Summer is icy cold drinks of all sorts. Whether it be iced coffee, flavoured tea, old-fashioned soda, or lemonade (and of course water, lots of water).

A week or so ago I saw a recipe for rosemary lemonade. When I move to my new apartment in a few weeks, remind me to make some of this to welcome visitors, using my friend Emily's fresh springs of rosemary that I will be regularly stealing from her porch of herbs (shhh, just don't tell her). I have a thing for rosemary. And lavender. And basil. She's going to find me over there stealing herbs frequently.

Rosemary Lemonade

5-6 lemons
3-4 sprigs of rosemary
1 cup sugar
6 cups water

In a pot, combine 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat and stir until dissolved. Add the rosemary. Let it cool and discard rosemary.
Squeeze 1 cup of lemon juice. Add everything to a pitcher and stir.

Lovely Lemonade!

No comments:

Post a Comment