21 May 2013

Gatsby

The Great Gatsby.
I haven't seen the movie, yet. Have you?

Many call this novel, by F.Scott Fitzgerald, the greatest American novel. At least, that is what I keep hearing. I would not call it that. I just finished reading it again, and it was definitely worth the read, but it is not the greatest American novel.
I read it in high school, as you probably did. But I definitely did not appreciate the elegant storytelling that Fitzgerald displays in this book. It is a short novel, so it only took me a few days to read it, which may also be partially why it is a popular novel. The ease of reading it is an attraction.

To me, there is a certain lost-ness to the novel and its characters. Some of the descriptions are beautifully written but the book makes me sad, mainly because there is no moral compass to the characters and I don't find myself truly caring for them. They live selfish, rich lives where the world revolves around them. Which, of course, leads to the story's issues and tragedy. But it is also a good example of 1920's wealth and wayward living in America.

It is worth reading. Not sure if the movie is worth seeing. I will have to gather some opinions about that. It is kind of like a 1920's version of a Greek tragedy. You just know something is going to happen, you just aren't sure what.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the book is essentially depressing. The more so because people actually lead such dissolute lives (lacking any moral compass). I'm waiting to watch the movie on netflix, myself.

    ReplyDelete